Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Do I need an Economics undergraduate degree to apply to the MAE program?
  2. No, applicants with degrees in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Environmental Science, and Political Science are considered in our program. The program’s structure is open to students from different disciplines. If the committee reviewing applications detects some missing courses in Economics/Math your transcript, you may receive a conditional admission letter, requesting you to take a list of preparatory courses before starting the MAE program in August, in-campus or online, during the Spring or Summer semesters, so you are as prepared as the rest of incoming students. You may also consider our Pre-Master program to improve your preparation:

  3. Is the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) required for admission?
  4. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test is not required for admission. However, if you take the GRE exam, please have official results sent to the Graduate School at WSU, Institution Code #4705. (See for information on the GRE including test centers and dates).

  5. Is the TOEFL/IETLS exams required for admission?
  6. WSU requires that international students demonstrate English proficiency, as indicated by a TOEFL score of 550 points (paper version), or 213 points (computer-based version), or 80 points (internet-based version). Please send an official copy of the TOEFL results to WSU, Institution Code #4705. The TOEFL score must be less than two years old by the time of intended enrollment.

    WSU waives the TOELF/IELTS exams to students graduating from universities where English is the language of instruction: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Canada, Guyana, Kenya, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Trinidad and Tobago. For more details on this policy, visit

    If you passed the C1 exam or C2 exam (common in undergraduate degrees in Europe), we may also consider them as English requirements in your application.


  7. What is the cost of the program?
  8. The tuition for the academic year 2020-2021 is $12,392 for in-state graduate students and $26,436 for out-of-state (including new international) students. For additional fees and estimated living costs in the Pullman Campus, please check the Student Financial Services website:


  9. Is financial aid available for participants in the program?
  10. The University does not offer financial aid to students in the Master in Applied Economics Program, but top students in every cohort usually receive scholarships of up to $4,000. In exceptional cases, some Master students receive a graduate assistantship to help in the School’s research or teaching needs, but this may only apply to one student and not every academic year.


  11. Has the program received the STEM designation?
  12. Yes, our MAE program received the STEM designation by U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics. This gives international students the possibility to extend their Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to two years before moving to a work visa (such as the H1-B).


  13. Can credits earned from another graduate program be transferred and counted towards the Master’s degree?
  14. Credit of acceptable quality (grade of 3.00 or higher on a 4.0 scale) earned in other recognized graduate schools may be applied toward the master’s degree. Credits may be transferred only if appropriate to the student’s program and if the courses presented for transfer are accepted by the student’s advisory committee, course instructor, and the Graduate School.


  15. Can credits earned at a WSU undergraduate course be counted towards the Master’s degree?
  16. This transfer of credits can help you accelerate the completion of your Master degree, but it is subject to the following policy: seniors who have at least a 3.0 grade point average in the last half of their undergraduate work at Washington State University (2 years) may register for up to 6 credit hours of graduate study for use in a graduate degree program (A- or better). This credit must be in excess of that required to complete the bachelor’s degree. The course must be approved by the School’s or Master program director prior to the student registering for this credit.

    For instance, if you take 400-level classes in excess of those required for your bachelor’s degree, and you earned an A- or better on them, you can use these courses as part of the elective courses of your Master degree (subject to the approval of the major advisor and director of the school).


Washington State University